Thursday, March 3, 2016

Vocabularies March 3rd

Bold: sentences I make  underline: definition.   (Inside): part of speach.

claim: place with mine(n.)
Miners spend the whole day to work in the claim
me and Dad were relaxing after a hard afternoon’s work out at the claim.

wobbling: shaking(adj.)
He wobbling stand on the single-plank bridge
The noise of a car drove into our ears and a four-wheel-drive police jeep came wobbling down the creamy red track that leads to our claim.

startled: to stimulate to action(v.)
When she saw her pet dog die, she startled.
My dad turned around, startled. He was totally off his guard.

figment: imaginary things(n.)
Ashmol thinks Pobby and Dingan are figment
Pobby was a figment of her imaginings.

rummaged: search around(v.)
Jimmy rummaged for his toy on the floor
He rummaged through piles of rocks.

ute: a member of the Shoshonean people of Utah and Colorado and New Mexico(n.)
Many years ago, a lot of Utes were killed by Germany
Kellyanne glared at me through tears the way she did the time I slammed the door of the ute in Dingan’s face

crackpot: a whimsically eccentric person(n.)
Some people think Van Gogh is a crackpot
Lightning Ridge was full of flaming crackpots as far as I could see.

Mello Yello: a soft drink(n.)
If you like Sprite, you should like Mello Yello
“Pobby and Dingan aren’t dead,” I said, hiding my anger in a swig from my can of Mello Yello.

mates: a pair of people who live together(n.)
Mom said:" my son, I hope you can talk with your mates, not doing everything by yourself."
“I still say Kellyanne could do with some real-live mates,”

opal: a translucent mineral consisting of hydrated silica of variable color; some varieties are used as gemstones(n.)
Jeweler love using opal to make jewelry.
Tomorrow we’ll be on opal, son, and we’ll be bloody millionaires!

fairdinkum: fair and square, true and reliable(adj.)
" Is this information reliable?"
"fair dinkum."
Example from book: "We’re close, boy. Close. There’s definitely something in that earth with the name Williamson on it!” “Fairdinkum?”

imaginary: not based on fact; dubious(adj.)
Many things fiction novels are imaginary.
“You see, my sister’s got two imaginary friends called Pobby and Dingan—maybe you’ve heard of them—and she thinks my dad lost them out on the claim.

grub: food, worm(n.)
I will give grub to my pet dog twice a day
She said they were quieter and better behaved than me and deserved the grub.

fossilized: preserved to become a fossil(adj.)
The most valuable thing in this museum is a fossilized from a tyrannosaurus
There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it.

mammoth: an ancient animal(n.)
Mammoth is extinct animal. 
There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment