Thursday, April 28, 2016

Poetry Blog April 28

Trees - Joyce Kilmer
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
(I pick a new poem because I think the new one has more things to talk about)

        I really like this poem which I just find. It has 6 stanzas in the whole poem, and each stanzas only have two line, totally it has 12 lines, this makes the poem is very easy to read. Each two lines in the poem have the same end sound, for example the two lines in the first stanza both end with "" sound, so the form for this poem is AA, BB, CC, DD, EE, FF. Except of the first line the others line in the poem all has the same beats, there are eight syllables in each line, because of this, the poem is easy to read with beats and also easy to remember. I think this is why people wrote poems instead of writing articles or essay in ancient time. In this poem, I found that the first line in stanzas two, three, and four both begin with "A tree", this is a repetition which is a kind of tool use in many poems. This will makes the poem be readability, and make a deep impact on the readers. This poem uses tree to describe a poem, and I think the poem had been described is itself. This is kind of interested to me, and I love the poet uses this metaphor in the poem. This bring gives me a image of a tree on the land, waves its leafy in the wind and pray to the god. Although there is no image with this poem, but I already had an image of the tree had been describe in the poem by just read the lines in the poem. I think the most interesting point in the poem is at the end of this poem, the poet said god made tree, and he made poem, he kind of compares himself with god and compare the things they made, although he said himself is a fool, but I can see his pride by he use himself to compare with god.  

No comments:

Post a Comment