Thursday, November 12, 2015

Vocabulary set #3


A small, black velvet purse hung on the shoulder of the mannequin(n.)
a woman who wears clothes to display fashions

To save money, I had purchased second-hand(adj.)
previously used or owned by another textbooks from upperclassmen at a fraction of the original price.

Many of our classmates were there, with drinks in hand, talking animatedly(adv.) in an animated manner.

Flustered, I faltered(v.)speak haltingly, then hurriedly responded

She would acknowledge that I had done something impulsive(adj.)proceeding from natural feeling or impulse without external stimulus, but would say that it was okay.

But maybe that was why I had wanted to leave home for a while; I had always felt constrained(adj.)lacking spontaneity; not natura there.

A Gregorian chant(n.)a liturgical chant of the Roman Catholic Church program is scheduled for June, and students will be coming from around the world.

The pearl(n.)a smooth lustrous round structure inside the shell of a clam or oyster; much valued as a jewel necklace and wishbone pin would really stand out against the black velvet.

She handed me an envelope(n.) a flat rectangular paper container for papers.

I would write to each of my taciturn(adj.)habitually reserved and uncommunicative brothers

"I am not going to subject Kyle to them. They have been horribly mean," sobbed(n.)weep convulsively Ellen.

In a silk pouch(n.)a small or medium size container for holding or carrying things that Mother had made was her thin, white gold wedding band.

As I stared forward listlessly(adv.)in a listless manner, little Sarah snuggled up against me, and whispered into my ear

I was comforted by their high-pitched hymns(n.)a song of praise (to God or to a saint or to a nation) reverberating in the domed chapel.

You fainted(adj.)deficient in magnitude; barely perceptible; lacking clarity or brightness or loudness etc two days ago and you've been here ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment