Sunday, February 28, 2016

Review of Once on this Island


           Friday night, I went to see our school musical called Once On this Island. Frankly, when I first heard that I should went to see I the play, I was unwilling to go. But after I saw this musical play, I change my mind. I love the story, not like many other stories, it doesn't have a good ending, the ending is between good ending and bad ending I think, which I like it because it is especial. If the ending is Ti Moune and Daniel becomes together, it would just be a normal love story, but the ending is Ti Moune becomes a tree who would watches the changes of the world. I think this is kind of interesting, and a good result for Ti Moune. 
          Many people may wanted Ti Moune can marry with Daniel, but I think this may not be a good ending for Ti Moune, imagine if Ti Moune marry with Daniel, will she be happy to live with others prejudices? She is a peasant, in the world in Once on this Island, peasants and rich people are in two different world, two world never meet, rich people look down on poor people, they never let poor people get into their place. So even Ti Moune marry with Daniel, she may not has a happy life to stay in rich people's place. People in nowadays still have this kind of idea, although people are equal nowadays, some rich people still look down on power, and doesn't like them, and rich family won't like their children to marry with a poor person. This world is unfair, money and social status decide everything. So Ti Moune becomes a tree is kind of a good a arrange for her, at least she could watches the changes of the world. 
         Beside the good story, the actors did a great job too. I love how a musical play run on, there are a lot of great music in Once on this Island. Because there is so many great music in the play, I didn't feel bored during the whole play. The music in the play are diversified, sometime the music make me feel happy, sometime the music make me feel sad, sometime the music make me feel melancholy, and sometime the music make sound mystery. The best music in the whole play I think is when Daniel lays on the ground, and Ti Moune hugs him and sings. I love this singing part, the actor's voice is beautiful, and has strong infection to the audiences. Her singing sound truthful, I can tell she really wants Daniel can reborn. For the best sense for me is Papa asks to get into rich place to find Daniel's father. James acts Papa really well, he looks so poor and really helplessness, he really wants to get into rich house, but the Gate Guard rejects him. At that time, I felt anger to the Gate Guard for rejecting Papa. I think a good actor is the actor who can effect audiences' emotion. And for the best part for me in this play is when all the actors sing together. Those senses make me feel shock, and every actors' action are almost the same and do in the same time, I really appreciate this, I can tell they spend a lot of time to practice, so they can do this so perfectly. 
            After all, I really like this play, I feel honor that I can watches this play, and I have forgot the unwilling when I first heard I had to come to this play. And I am look forward to watch the next play in the spring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment